Proposed Plan Change 4 focuses on rezoning an area of land to the east of Levin. The area in question totals over 420ha and is currently zoned Greenbelt Residential (Deferred). Greenbelt Residential zoning allows rural lifestyle development to occur.
In response to population growth, the Horowhenua Growth Strategy 2040 identified Taraika (formerly known as Gladstone Green) as a growth area. This means the area has been identified as potentially suitable to be rezoned from Greenbelt Residential to a residential/urban zoning to allow for residential development and associated non-residential development (eg supportive commercial activities). Under the proposed zoning, the area could contain approximately 2,500 dwellings, a commercial centre, public parks/reserves, and potentially a primary school.
In addition to the proposed rezoning, Council has prepared a Master Plan for the area in collaboration with a number of landowners within Taraika. The purpose of the master plan is to guide future growth to ensure that the area develops in a cohesive, connected way with provision for infrastructure and social amenities. This is important given the size of Taraika and the number of landowners involved.
Proposed Plan Change 4 seeks to give effect to this master plan.
Summary of Changes
The following amendments to the District Plan are proposed as part of Proposed Plan Change 4:
- Remove Structure Plan 13 from the District Plan.
- Introduce a new ‘Taraika Multi-Zone Precinct’ Chapter to the District Plan with a supporting structure plan and associated objectives, policies, and rules.
- Rezone land within the Taraika Master Plan Area from Greenbelt Residential Deferred to Greenbelt Residential, Low Density Residential, Standard Residential, Medium Density Residential, Commercial and Open Space.
- Introduce new subdivision rules within the Taraika Growth Area.
- Introduce some new bulk and location rules within the Taraika Growth Area.
- Introduce new rules relating to commercial activities within the Taraika Growth Area.
- Update Planning Maps 7-8 and 30-33.
Public Notification and Submissions
Proposed Plan Change 4 was publicly notified on 16 November 2020. Submissions closed at 5pm on Monday, 1 February 2021.
The Section 32 Report, technical reports and Proposed District Plan chapters are all available to view below.