Working on the Road

Working on the Road - Roadworkers asphalting and repairing the road.d

Government legislation requires Horowhenua District Council to manage access to the Transport Corridor, which is also known as the road reserve – the area between property boundaries on either side of the road, including the berm (grass verge), footpath and road. 

Regulations for working within the Transport Corridor

Government legislation - the National Code of Practice for Utility Operator's Access to Transport Corridors - requires Council to manage access to the corridor. The Code recognises it is critical for utilities, eg electricity, telecommunications, to get in and out of the Transport Corridor as efficiently as possible to install, maintain and upgrade network infrastructure. Specifically, the Code recognises that Transport Corridors are utility corridors.

The legislation requires Council to administer the process for access to the Transport Corridors under their control and Horowhenua District Council has extended this requirement to include all contractors (eg painters, builders, drainlayers and plumbers, etc) working within the Transport Corridor and for events like parades and fairs that use the Transport Corridor.

Working within the Transport Corridor

A formal request, called a Corridor Access Request (CAR), needs to be made for any work in the Transport Corridor. Once the CAR has been processed by Council a Works Access Permit (WAP) is issued to the applicant, along with all relevant local conditions.

If the intended area of work adjoins a State Highway, the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) will also require a CAR and their approval will also be required.

General maintenance or small jobs

All work undertaken in the Transport Corridor (Road Reserve) will require a CAR to be submitted and approved by Council. Examples of works requiring a CAR include:

  • trenching works
  • footpaths and entranceways
  • work within the berm or shoulder of the road eg painting, general maintenance
  • street parades
  • tree work, scaffolding and crane work.

Applying for a Corridor Access Request (CAR)

Find out how to apply for a Corridor Access Request for any work in the Transport Corridor on our Applying for a Corridor Access Request (CAR) page.