Smokefree & Vapefree Environment Policy
Horowhenua District Council reviewed and updated its 2017 Smokefree Environment Policy in May 2022 to include vaping, aligning the policy with the Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products (Vaping) Amendment Act 2020.
The Smokefree and Vapefree Environment Policy was adopted by Council in June 2022.
This policy supports Horowhenua District Council's commitment to promote positive health outcomes for our community. By focusing on public outdoor areas and supported events, Horowhenua District Council will be proactive and demonstrate leadership by promoting a Smokefree and Vapefree environment as being both desirable and the norm in Horowhenua.
Objectives of the Policy
Council, in collaboration with partner organisations, will work towards achieving the following objectives
- Improve the health and wellbeing of Horowhenua's communities by reducing the prevalence of smoking and vaping and de-normalising smoking behaviour.
- Fewer people smoke and vape in public places.
- Businesses and other organisations designate their premises “Smokefree and Vapefree”.
- The prevalence of smoking and vaping in Horowhenua continues to decrease over time.
In order to prevent the detrimental effects of smoking and vaping on the health of any person who does not smoke or vape, or who does not wish to be exposed to second-hand smoke; this Policy outlines that:
The following Council-administered areas in Horowhenua District are designated smokefree and vapefree:
- All outdoor facilities including all stadiums, sports grounds, outdoor swimming pools and any other outdoor facilities.
- All health centres including all associated public outdoor areas.
- All playgrounds and skate-parks, including those not located within a park or reserve.
- All sports fields including associated spectator areas.
- All parks, reserves and cemeteries including all local and regional parks.
- The public outdoor areas associated with Horowhenua District Council service centres, libraries, community facilities, museums, leisure centres and recreation centres.
- All transport areas including bus stations, taxi ranks and train stations.
Under the Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products (Vaping) Amendment Act 2020, the following places will also be smokefree and vapefree:
- All early childhood centres, primary, and secondary schools including all associated public outdoor areas and the footpath directly in front of the property boundary.
Council may, from time to time, by resolution specify any part or parts of the district as a smokefree or vapefree public place. This will be publicly consulted before it takes effect.
All events run by Horowhenua District Council will be smokefree and vapefree, and any event supported or sponsored by Council will be encouraged to be smokefree and vapefree.
Horowhenua District Council Smokefree and Vapefree Environment Policy(PDF, 348KB)
Please provide as much detail as you can, so we can fix any issues you are having.
Thank you for your feedback, it helps us design a better website for you.
Please call us any time on 06 366 0999 to report something that is causing an immediate risk to the safety of a person, people, or property.