Event Application Process Guide
Our events team are on hand to make it as easy as possible for you to hold your event in Horowhenua.
They are the main point of contact for event organisers, and work across Council departments to facilitate event approvals and any specialist support required to ensure a safe and successful event.
Horowhenua District Council requires you to complete an Event Notification Form if you are planning on hosting a public event that is likely to attract more than 100 people.
Application Process Guide
Notice required for an event
To assist you with planning your event we have developed the timelines below that are required to achieve the best outcome for enabling your event in Horowhenua.
Low impact event
- No road closures
- Low numbers of registered food vendors (under ten)
- No / low numbers of amusement devices (merry go rounds, bouncy castles etc)
- Multiple items of simple infrastructure (eg portable toilets, marquees under 100m2, small stage)
Examples include fundraising events or park-based fun runs/walks.
Minimum 20 working days notice is required.
Medium impact event
- Minor local road closures
- Multiple food vendors (more than ten) and/or liquor licensed areas
- Amusement devices (e.g. merry go rounds, bouncy castles etc.)
- Multiple items of infrastructure and/or an infrastructure build requiring building consent, eg marquees etc.
- Multiple contractors
Examples include triathlons, large-scale sporting events, music events with stages.
Minimum 2-6 months’ notice depending on event requirements.
High impact event
- A significant number of people expected to attend
- Road closures, disruption to public transport and high impact to traffic expected
- Multiple food vendors and/or liquor licensed areas
- Significant infrastructure builds
- Multiple event sites and/or days
- Resource consent required
Examples include major sporting events or music festivals.
Minimum 6-8 months’ notice is required.
Please discuss your event timelines with our Events team email@example.com
Horowhenua District Council reserves the right to decline an application if insufficient notice or information is provided.
Please provide as much detail as you can, so we can fix any issues you are having.
Thank you for your feedback, it helps us design a better website for you.
Please call us any time on 06 366 0999 to report something that is causing an immediate risk to the safety of a person, people, or property.