Roads and Traffic Management

Horowhenua District Council is responsible for managing and maintaining the District's Roading assets which include:

  • 506 Km of Sealed Road;
  • 60 Km of Unsealed Road;
  • Over 4,000 Signs;
  • 71 Bridges;
  • 690 Culverts and numerous sumps;
  • Over 3,000 Street Lights; and
  • the Transport Corridor (also known as the Road Reserve).

Regulations for Working On or Near Roads, Footpaths and Berms

Anyone carrying out work or holding an event on or near public roads may require a Work Access Permit (WAP) and possibly a Traffic Management Plan (TMP).

This affects not only contractors and tradespeople, but also members of the public and event organisers. It is necessary to help ensure the safety of those carrying out the work or holding an event, as well as public safety and the safety of property and infrastructure.

Government legislation requires Horowhenua District Council to administer access to the Transport Corridor - the area between property boundaries on either side of the road, including the berm (grass verge), footpath and road - and Council wants to ensure people are aware of their obligations and responsibilities.

A Corridor Access Request (CAR) must be made by anyone intending to undertake work or hold an event that affects the normal operating conditions of the transport corridor. A Traffic Management Plan (TMP) may also be required.

Anyone unsure whether their work activity or event requires these should contact Council's Roading Team on 06 366 0999 or

Examples of work ranges from digging trenches, tree pruning and general maintenance, through to work on buildings and structures that requires scaffolding or cranes. Information for event organisers can also be found on the Organising an Event page.