Traffic Management & Road Closures

Traffic Management - Man in hi vis vest holding a red hard hat.

If you're running an event or undertaking work in the Horowhenua District that:

  • may affect vehicle or pedestrian traffic;
  • may increase traffic to a specific area (eg concerts, sports events);
  • may require a road or footpath closure (eg parades, marches); and/or
  • may require road signs;

You will need to complete a Traffic Management Plan and submit it to Horowhenua District Council.

Setting up Traffic Management Plans (TMPs)

Traffic Management Plans (TMPs) must be completed by a qualified Site Traffic Management Supervisor (STMS) and temporary traffic control must be carried out by a qualified Traffic Controller. We can advise you of companies who can assist with traffic management for events in Horowhenua.

TMPs must be lodged electronically through the Electronic Corridor Access Request System, and not emailed or posted directly to Council. Please visit

Advertising road closures

Council is required by law to advertise all road closures. The cost of any road closure advertisement is payable by the applicant/organisation and will be charged at cost to the applicant. A quotation for advertising can be provided if requested.

Sporting and non-commercial groups can apply to the Manawatū Events Equipment Trust for assistance with the hire of traffic management equipment at a nominal cost. Contact details for the Manawatū Events Equipment Trust are: