Objecting to an Alcohol Licence

This page contains information about how to object to the granting or renewal of an Alcohol Licence in the Horowhenua District.

Anyone can object to alcohol licences

New legislation introduced in 2023 makes it easier for communities to have a say in alcohol licensing decisions. Now, any individual or group can object to an application for a licence, licence renewal, variation of licence conditions, or special licence. There's a narrow exception for trade competitors.

Grounds for objecting to an alcohol licence

Your objection needs to be based on the criteria in the Act. Look to the following parts of the Act to see which grounds apply:

  • sections 102 and 105 for applications for new licences
  • section 120 for applications to vary licence conditions
  • sections 128 and 131 for applications for renewal
  • sections 140 and 142 for applications for special licences.

Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 | legislation.govt.nz

You have 25 working days to object

The time to make your objection has been increased from 15 to 25 working days. This gives you more time to become aware of any current applications and prepare evidence.

We publish all licence applications on the public notices page of our website or in the newspaper. Notice of an application will also be posted in an easy-to-see place on the premises of the business applying for the licence.

The Act defines working days as weekdays, excluding public holidays, and excluding 20 December to 15 January. Also excluded are Mondays where a public holiday falls on a weekend and is Monday-ised, for example, Waitangi Day or Anzac Day.

How to file your objection

Objections need to be made no later than the last day to object, specified within the public notice announcing an application has been made.

You can either:

  • complete the Objection to an Application for an Alcohol Licence Form below and email it to recordsprocessing@horowhenua.govt.nz;or
  • write a letter stating you wish to object and your reasons why (you must refer to the relevant criteria) and include your full name, address and contact phone number. 

Objection to an Application for an Alcohol Licence Form (Writeable PDF)(PDF, 988KB)

Written objections can be sent by post to:

The Secretary
District Licensing Committee (DLC)
Horowhenua District Council
Private Bag 4002
Levin 5540

If your objection is representing a group of people, be prepared to have a spokesperson for the group who'll be willing to appear at any hearing.

Processing objections

When the committee receives your objection, they'll send you an acknowledgement letter and send the applicant a copy of your objection.

If the committee believes the objection meets the criteria specified in the Act, they'll notify all involved parties of a date and time for a hearing. You can choose not to attend the hearing, but your objection will be stronger if you attend and speak in support of your submission.

If the committee decides an objection does not meet the criteria in the Act, it may make a decision based on information and reports provided in the application rather than hold a hearing.

Need some help?

If you have any queries or need some assistance, please contact the Licensing team on 06 366 0999 or email enquiries@horowhenua.govt.nz