Get ready to vote in the 2022 Horowhenua District elections. Find out what you need to do to enrol so you can vote to have your say.

The Horowhenua District Electoral role is taken from the Parliamentary Roll prior to a local body election. The full rolls for Horowhenua can be viewed at:

  • Horowhenua District Council's Main Office, Oxford Street, Levin
  • Te Takeretanga o Kura-hau-pō, Te Awahou Nieuwe Stroom and Shannon Library
  • New Zealand Post Shops
  • Waitārere Four Square, Waitārere Beach
  • Manakau Dairy, Manakau
  • Tokomaru Store and Takeaways Ltd, Tokomaru. 

Who can vote

To be eligible to vote in a local body election you must:

  • be 18 years of age or older
  • currently live in New Zealand
  • be a New Zealand resident, permanent resident, or citizen
  • have been living in New Zealand continuously for 12 months or more.

The Ratepayer Electoral Roll closes on 12 August 2022.

Check your status

If you're not sure if you're enrolled or your details have changed, check or update your details online by visiting the Vote NZ website, or call 0800 36 76 56.

To enrol you must verify your identity and will need one of the following documents:

  • New Zealand driver licence.
  • New Zealand passport.
  • Your RealMe verified identity.

If you're not able to enrol online, there are other ways to enrol or to update your details. Visit the Vote NZ website to find out other ways to enrol.

Resident ratepayer electoral roll

You're automatically enrolled to vote in the 2022 local body elections if you're a Horowhenua resident and are already on the parliamentary electoral roll for the general election.

If you've changed address

When you move house be sure to inform the Electoral Commission.

When voting papers are returned as undelivered to the Electoral Commission, they have no option but to remove you from the electoral roll if you haven't updated your address.

You can check and update your details at www.elections.org.nz/enrol or by calling 0800 36 76 56.

Non-resident ratepayer electoral roll or ratepayer elector

If you pay rates on a property in a different area to where you live, you may be eligible to enrol on the non-resident ratepayer electoral roll.

A company or society that pays property rates can also qualify as a ratepayer elector.

A Ratepayer roll enrolment form is available below or from Council offices and libraries. If you wish to enrol as a ratepayer elector please complete and return the enrolment form.

Ratepayer Enrolment Form - Local Government Election 2022(PDF, 173KB)

Ratepayer Elector Enrolment Portal

To check if you may be eligible to receive a ratepayer vote, you can visit the Ratepayer Elector Enrolment Portal

Contact the Electoral Commission

Contact the Electoral Commission if you:

  • have any queries about enrolling
  • need to update your details
  • want to check your electorate / ward / local board area
  • have changed your home address.

Visit the Electoral Commission website or phone 0800 36 76 56.