Engineering Standards for Working in Roads

Horowhenua District Council uses New Zealand Standard, Land Development and Subdivision Infrastructure NZS 4404:2010 for the basis of its Engineering Standards to control Development and Subdivision.

To assist you, Council has prepared a suite of standard drawings which can be viewed on our Standard Drawings page. The standard drawings current at the time of construction are to be utilised by the person intending to undertake works. 

It should be noted that several documents have operational requirements for undertaking works in roads and due to other statutes could be enforced outside the Resource Management Act (RMA).

Subdivisions and developments must comply with Council's Subdivision and Development Principles and Requirements 2014, which set out the engineering requirements. 

Corridor Access Request (CAR)

When doing a development which requires work in the Transport Corridor (also known as a road reserve) a CAR is required. More information about this can be viewed on our Applying for a Corridor Access Request page.