FAQs - Roading

We've put together some common questions we receive from our community about Roading and the corresponding answers. 

9 Result(s) Found

Sandbags will only be deployed in unforeseen circumstances and only if there is a genuine threat of storm water entering into dwellings. In most circumstances the property owner would know if water normally enters their property and should supply their own sandbags.

Yes, Council is responsible for the repairs to Council roads including potholes. Potholes are repaired on a routine basis. NZTA are responsible for the state highways.

Urgent faults which are a health and safety issue are repaired as required. All non-urgent repairs are programmed and completed on a priority basis.

To report any road damage please contact Council.

Horowhenua District Council owns and maintains the streetlights on Council's roads throughout the district. Streetlights in private roads and lighting under shop verandahs are private lights and therefore are not maintained by HDC.

If you would like to report a faulty streetlight on one of Council's roads or require further information, please contact Council.

Council's contractor cleans all sumps and culverts throughout the network on a six-monthly basis. However, if there is an immediate threat of flooding due to a blocked sump or culvert the contractor will be advised to clean it out before it causes any flooding so please contact Council.

All parties undertaking any work on, in or over the maintained road or within the road corridor must submit a Corridor Access Request (CAR). They will need to submit a Traffic Management Plan as part of the CAR, which complies with the CoPTTM, for approval. A Works Access Permit will be issued once approval is given and the worksite must be set up to the approved Temporary Traffic Management Plan, before commencing their activities.

Council's contractor carries out street sweeping of the kerb and channels in urban areas. The streets with higher traffic volumes are cleaned weekly or twice monthly. All of the local streets with low traffic volumes are cleaned monthly.

The Contractor will be advised of the leaves/debris and they will sweep the channels in their next scheduled round.

Council is responsible for road marking Council roads and some road marking relating to parking in the CBD area of Oxford Street (SH1). Road marking is carried out annually.

Any requests for new road marking are assessed by the Project Team Leader and if required can be programmed to be completed
at the same time as other road marking work.

Page 1 of 1


I can't find the answer I'm looking for.

If you can't find the answer you're looking for please phone (06) 366 0999 or email enquiries@horowhenua.govt.nz