Applying for a Corridor Access Request (CAR) - No Excavation

A Corridor Access Request (CAR) for all non-excavation activities, not requiring service locations such as power, water, etc, can be made on the CorridorAccess website.

When you fill in the online form on the Corridor Access website, each registered asset owner will be alerted to your request and a CAR will be generated and provided to Horowhenua District Council.

Using the CorridorAccess website

To use the CorridorAccess website you'll have to register your company details and provide essential contact information.

When you lodge a request, you'll be asked questions about the type of activity you're planning, the location, and when you're intending to undertake the activity.

Most importantly, you'll be required to submit a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) when you apply. This plan must be drawn up by a person holding the Site Traffic Management Supervisor (STMS) Level 1 qualification. For further information on how to become STMS Level 1 qualified, please contact our Roading Team on (06) 366 0999 or search for 'STMS Training' online.

All areas of road reserve require a Traffic Management Plan to be submitted and approved by Council.

Log your job through the CorridorAccess website and then email your Traffic Management Plan to

Work Access Permits (WAPs)

Once the CAR has been processed by Council, a Works Access Permit (WAP) will be issued to the applicant, along with all relevant local conditions.

Starting work without a WAP

Council will immediately issue a Stop Work Notice if work is started without a WAP. You'll be required to remove all structures and equipment from the site to make the site safe.

Council will revoke the Stop Work Notice once a WAP has been issued. Continued infringing will result in a ban from being able to undertake any future work within the Transport Corridor.


If you have any questions regarding the CAR process please contact our Roading Team on (06) 366 0999 or email