Land Use Consent

A land use consent is a type of resource consent. Land use consent is required if:

  • your activity is not permitted under the District Plan
  • your activity is listed as permitted but breaches a rule in relation to a public boundary (eg front boundary)
  • your activity breaches a ‘boundary rule’ and you're unable to meet the requirements of the deemed permitted boundary activity process.

Example One: You want to start an early childhood centre in a residential area and this is not listed as a permitted activity

Example Two: You wish to carry out a business from home (called ‘home occupation’). However, you do not comply with the permitted activity condition that limits the maximum floor area of your home business to 50m2.