FAQs - Water

We've put together some common questions we receive from our community about water and the corresponding answers.

35 Result(s) Found

No, the water allowance only applies per quarter.

Can I increase my quarterly water allowance?

Generally no. The quarterly allowance of water is per water connection to a property.

The only time a customer would receive more than the allocated allowance is if they have more than one water connection, and have been charged the appropriate water levies on their rates.

If you have a water meter on your property or if you are living in Foxton Beach, you do pay for water consumption. 

Up-to-date water consumption rates for Levin, Ōhau, Foxton, Foxton Beach, Shannon, and Tokomaru can be found on our Water Consumption Rates page.

How much is 1 cubic meter (m3) of water?

1 cubic meter (m3) = 1,000 litres of water.

Do/can the fees change?

Fees and charges are set annually by Council for each financial year, in July.

When we install a water meter on your property, we’ll leave a notice in your letterbox to alert you to the new meter and if we suspect there may be a leak on your property. You’ll also be notified of the meter installation with a letter to the same address where the rates invoice is sent.

If you didn’t receive your notice and were unaware your property was being metered until your first bill, please contact our Customer Services team and we’ll work with you on a case-by-case basis to find a solution.

Digital water meters are simple. There's no dial to interpret, and the display simply tells you how many litres of water you have used. The reading to the left of the decimal indicates how many units of water has been used, 1 unit is 1 cubic meter or 1,000 litres.

Water meter display


The Council's water meter or toby box is usually located on the berm just outside your front fence.

In some instances, water tobies are installed up `Right of Ways' and occasionally within private property. The actual position of your meter may be recorded on Councils online mapping system.

Alternatively, these locations can be given over the telephone by contacting Councils Customer Services Team.

In some areas a white line drawn on the road may also indicate the tobys location.

Turning the toby off?

For boxes containing a blue lid
Use a screwdriver to lift the lid, inside you will see a blue tap handle. An arrow on the handle indicates the clockwise direction to turn to shut the water off – remember lefty loosey, right tighty.

For boxes containing a metal plate
These have a handle system, turn handle the opposite way, this should shut the water off.

Water meters can identify leaks so we can locate and remedy them. Water metering encourages people to be more aware of their water use habits and also prompts people to fix water leaks on their properties.


Water Supply Meter Charges for Levin, Foxton, Shannon, Tokomaru & Ōhau

The water charges for properties with town water supply, excluding Foxton Beach, are the same for all types of properties where a water meter is in place.

Some rural properties have restricted supplies where a fixed amount of water is supplied at a continuous rate. Some of these properties are metered and are charged for water use on the same basis as any other metered connection. Council is progressively extending the coverage of meters throughout the supply area.

Each property, whether metered or not, pays an annual amount for the water supply through the property rates. This amount is given in the Annual Plan.

Metered properties are entitled to receive an "allowance" of 91m3 (91,000 litres) per quarter during each three (3) month charging period at no cost. The balance of any water use beyond the allowance is charged for at a rate per cubic meter (m3) given in the Annual Plan.

Foxton Beach Properties Only

Foxton Beach is universally metered, with Council charging for all water use at the property, as recorded by the water meter at the property boundary. The water meters are read every three months, with the first 50m³ charged out at a low rate given in the annual plan.  Up to 100m³ the charge out rate is a medium rate. Any water use greater than 100m³ is charged at a higher rate. These charges are all included in the Annual Plan.

There is quarterly meter charge (even if the property is not connected).

Identifying water leaks at your property is a simple task that can greatly benefit you and the community.

For many properties, water leaks may not be obvious but can cause aesthetic damage or even compromise the structural integrity of the property. If your property’s water supply is metered, it may also result in high water-use charges. Community benefits include reducing demand on water supplies and treatment processes; overall creating savings and efficiencies.

So, how can you help?

If your property does not have a meter, to check for signs of a water leak:

  • Trace the route from your toby to where the pipe enters the house and check for wet areas, unexplained patches of green grass in otherwise dry ground, or obvious leaks from fittings and connections.
  • Use a screwdriver for a simple listening test. First, check all taps are turned off and water-using appliances (dishwashers, washing machines, etc.) are not operating. Then go outside and put one end of a screwdriver against your water pipe and the other end to your ear. If you hear water moving, you may have a leak.
  • If you come across standing or running water and you are not sure if it is a leak, you can get a free test kit with instructions from Council’s main office in Levin. This is a simple test that requires a sample of water, the test kit sachet and a few minutes of time. If the water turns pink, then you have a water leak and you may want to contact a plumber.
  • Check inside the house for dripping taps and leaky toilet cisterns. Leaky toilet cisterns can often be identified by the sound of hissing, trickling or running water coming from the cistern.

If your property is metered, there is a simple five-minute test you can carry out:

  1. Check all taps are turned off and water-using appliances (dishwashers, washing machines, etc.) are not operating.
  2. Locate the blue water meter lid on the footpath, lift it up and write down the time and reading on the meter inside.
  3. Sit down and relax for five minutes.
  4. Re-read your water meter, taking note of the reading and time again. If the numbers have changed then you might have a water leak and you may want to contact a plumber. If you are unsure, Council’s water services staff can come and double check it for you.

For more information, or to report a water leak, contact Horowhenua District Council on enquiries@horowhenua.govt.nz or 06 366 0999.

Page 1 of 4


I can't find the answer I'm looking for.

If you can't find the answer you're looking for please phone (06) 366 0999 or email enquiries@horowhenua.govt.nz