Land Use Consent

A land use consent is a type of resource consent and is permission from Council to use land in a way that doesn't comply with the Horowhenua District Plan.

When land use consent is required

Land use consent is required if:

  • your activity is not permitted under the Horowhenua District Plan
  • your activity is listed as permitted but breaches a rule in relation to a public boundary (eg front boundary)
  • your activity breaches a ‘boundary rule’ and you're unable to meet the requirements of the deemed permitted boundary activity process.

Examples of when a land use consent is required

Some examples include:

  • You want to start an early childhood centre in a residential area and this is not listed as a permitted activity
  • You want to carry out a business from home (known as 'home occupation') but you don't comply with the permitted activity condition that limits the maximum floor area of your home business to 50 square meters (m2)

Applying for a land use consent

If you need more information about how to apply for a resource consent, please refer to our Resource consents process 9-step guide.

If you're ready to apply for a resource consent, you can apply online on our Apply for a resource consent page.

Bulk and Location Requirements

The Bulk and Location Requirements brochure outlines rules that need to be complied with for new buildings and extensions to existing buildings in Residential, Greenbelt Residential and Rural zones. It also outlines requirements for dwellings, family flats and accessory buildings in these zones. It includes:

  • maximum height of buildings; 
  • maximum building coverage and permitted floor areas for accessory buildings; 
  • building setback from boundaries; and
  • daylight setback envelope.

Bulk & Location Requirements Brochure

Note: The provisions in the brochure are from the Horowhenua District Plan and can change, so it should only be used as a guide. The brochure was last checked for accuracy in July 2018.