Youth Empowerment Project Horowhenua (ÿEP)
Interested in being on the 2020 Youth Empowerment Project?
(Horowhenua Youth Council and Engagement)
- Are you 15 – 24?
- Do you live in the Horowhenua?
- Are you looking for leadership opportunities?
- Would you like to be part of a Youth Council?
- Can commit to 2 meetings a month? (1 leadership on Mondays 5pm – 6.30pm and project-based hui various dates & times)
- Would like to encourage other young people to be involved in youth projects?
- Have some great ideas that would make the Horowhenua a better place?
- Do you feel that having a strong local youth voice is important?
If you answered “ÿEP” to all these questions then we would love to have you on the 2020 Youth Empowerment Project (ÿEP for short).
Applications close at 5 pm on Friday 7 February 2020.
Striving to empower youth to:
- be confident and connected.
- participate in conversations and decision making in community.
- have access to good up-date information
- develop and sustain quality community relationships
- Wairuatanga - Spirit of place
- Kaitiakitanga - Guardianship of place
- Kotahitanga - People of Place
An action-driven approach where poeple work collectively to enhance many aspects of the community.
- Shared visions for place
- Local people actively involved in planning, decision making and doing
- Sectors working together
- Building local leadership
- Learning by doing
ÿEP Leader Responsibility:
Actively manage and be responsive on a social media platform with approximately 60 youth from the Horowhenua District;
- Organise and run at least 4 projects/events that are of benefit to the youth within the Horowhenua District;
- Attend 11 monthly meetings as well as be present at other meetings organised and agreed by the team;
- Hold knowledge and apply the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi in regards to partnership with local iwi.
ÿEP Leaders can expect:
- Guidance, support and mentoring
- Offer capacity building opportunities
- Promote authentic youth engagement
- Recognised local youth leadership
- To have youth perspective when making decisions about community
ÿEP is a remodel of the previous Youth Council. In 2019 ÿEP was co-designed with young people to improve youth engagement and information sharing. ÿEP has approx. 60 young people district wide that includes a leadership team/governance group (youth council) of 15. The leadership team manages a closed group Facebook page that is a platform for conversation and consultation with a large number of youth district wide. During 2019 ÿEP delivered meaningful youth perspective in hui and workshops with stake holders that included Horowhenua District Council, MidCentral Health, Ministry of Social Development, Horowhenua Youth Services Network, Iwi, Colleges and a other organisations.
For more information contact Council on (06) 366 0999 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also like the ÿEP Horowhenua Facebook page.