Volunteers can provide an invaluable capacity building resource to your school, community organisation or youth project. That is why Horowhenua District Council has formed a strategic partnership with Volunteer Central.
You'll learn new things, have interesting experiences and build your skills through volunteering. Most importantly, you'll learn about yourself and your community.
Listed below are the many reasons why you should volunteer:
- use a skill or talent
- make a difference through positive contribution
- gain professional experience
- feel better about yourself
- act upon your spiritual beliefs
- meet friendly action-minded people
- attain personal growth
- have a more balanced life
- give back to the community
- increase your awareness of issues
- act on your altruistic values
- seek social justice
- make important networking contacts
- learn or develop skills
- gain work experience
- build self-esteem and self-confidence
- improve health
- meet people from other backgrounds
- share expertise
- broaden your individual network
- discover your own potential
- build on your abilities
- build your resume
- enjoy giving of yourself
- help others
- make a difference
- find a purpose
- enjoy meaningful conversation
- feel involved by contributing to a cause that you care about
- use your skills in a productive way
- explore new areas of interest
- expand your horizons
- feel needed and valued
- make a difference in someone's life
- get to know your community
- gain leadership and interpersonal skills
- enhance your current skills.
Volunteer Central provides services in Palmerston North, Horowhenua, Manawatū and Tararua regions. We support these communities on three fronts: Connection, Awareness and Recognition.
Connection: We match people looking for volunteer opportunities with organisations that need volunteers. Based on a skills matching system, we're able to conduct successful referrals.
Awareness: We aim to raise awareness around volunteering and it's a positive impact on individuals, organisations, communities, and our country. We do this by attending and hosting events. Check out the Event Calendar regularly to access all of the amazing opportunities we've scheduled and browse through our "memories" to learn about past events.
Recognition: We celebrate volunteer's efforts through recognition events. Time and commitment of volunteers are precious and by acknowledging this we build a strong and united volunteer group.
Volunteer Central is an independent non-profit organisation that works in partnership with Volunteering New Zealand, and our sister centres around Aotearoa.
Pop-Up stalls Horowhenua
Location: Te Takeretanga o Kura-hau-pō
Open hours: Monday to Friday, 10am to 12pm
Phone: 022 279 774
More information can be found on the Volunteer Central website or Facebook page.