- Mortuary surfaces are required to be continuously smooth, impervious to water, readily cleanable and lightly coloured.
- Floors must be coved to the walls and permanent fixtures and graded and drained to the sewer.
- Lighting and ventilation must be adequate.
- Mortuary tables must also be graded and drained.
- There must be hot and cold running water and a wash hand basin must be convenient to the area and separate from other sinks.
- Staff toilet facilities should be provided.
- Cleaning practices, personal hygiene, pest control, building maintenance and safe chemical storage must be managed effectively.
Registration is renewable each year and an annual fee applies.
New Zealand Legislation: Health (Burial) Regulations 1946 (pdf, 403Kb)
Applying for Registration of a Funeral Directors Premises
If you are interested in opening funeral directors premises you will also need to contact our Planning and Building Control Officers.
You may also be interested in viewing:
Pages on this site