The sewer main takes sewage to one of Horowhenua District Council's wastewater treatment plants in Tokomaru, Shannon, Mangaore, Foxton, Foxton Beach, Waitarere Beach, and Levin. Each treatment plant is appropriate for the community it serves however, issues such as high groundwater and stormwater infiltration have contributed to the incidence of inflow into the sewer main and reduced the capacity of the plant.

Council is responsible for any blockages of the Council's sewer main, but any blockage that is within a private property is the responsibility of the owner and a call to a plumber or drainlayer may be necessary at the owner's cost.

Sewer Connection/Disconnection Application Form

An Application Form to apply for a connection/disconnection to Horowhenua District Council's underground water and sewerage networks is available below, along with the the connection process.

Apply Electronically

Horowhenua District Council is committed to being more environmentally sustainable and is constantly looking to find more efficient and effective ways to do business. To make your interaction with us even easier, you can now apply electronically for a New Connection or Disconnection.

Simply click on the Writeable PDF application form link, type into the form, save a copy for your records and then email the form and the required documentation that needs to be included to recordsprocessing@horowhenua.govt.nz

Include confirmation of payment

You can also pay the fees associated with your application using internet banking. Simply include confirmation of your payment when submitting your electronic application so we can put the two things together and get the process rolling. For full information on how to make payments please view our Paying Us page.

No action will be taken on your application until payment has been receipted by Council and matched to your application.

Please note: Council's firewall will prevent some items from being sent to us. It will also block large files (total file size must not exceed 10 Mb). If you experience difficulty, or need to transfer large files, please contact Council's Customer Experience Team.

You can also print and complete the application form available below and send or deliver the completed form, along with the required documentation and fee, to Horowhenua District Council.

Application Form for Connection/Disconnection (Writeable PDF)(PDF, 843KB)
Connection Process(PDF, 195KB)