Rates Rebates

The Rates Rebate Scheme was established by the Government through the Rates Rebate Act 1973 and the criteria given affect to by the Rates Rebate Order 2006 and the Rates Rebate (Specified Amounts) Order 2008.

The scheme is administered by Horowhenua District Council on behalf of the Department of Internal Affairs.  The scheme's purpose is to provide a subsidy to low-income homeowners and ratepayers on the cost of their rates. The level of your rates, income and whether you have any dependents will all have a bearing on whether you qualify for a rebate or not.

Applications Open for Rates Rebate Scheme 2018/2019

Residential ratepayers, couples, joint homeowners with combined incomes up to $25,180 in the tax year ending 31 March 2018 may qualify for a maximum rebate of $630. Those earning over $25,180 may still qualify for a lower rebate.

Apply now

Make your appointment by phoning Horowhenua District Council on (06) 366 0999. Alternatively, email your name and phone number to ratesrebates@horowhenua.govt.nz.

To view the rules for Rates Rates, work out if you qualify and download an Application Form, please visit the New Zealand Government website.  Application Forms are also available from Council Service Centres in Levin, as well as the Foxton and Shannon Libraries.

What you'll need to bring

You will need to bring the following to your appointment:

  • Proof of income (before tax) for the tax year ended 31 March 2018,  this includes any Interest at the Bank  and
  • proof of partner's or joint income if living together.

Council will be able to access your rates information.

'Income' means money received, before tax, for the year ended 31 March 2018. Satisfactory proof of income includes:

  • income confirmation from Work and Income; and/or
  • income confirmation from Inland Revenue; and/or
  • investment earning statements for the tax year; and/or
  • statement of earnings from your employer.

Additionally, for self-employed people:

  • a complete set of business accounts for the year ended 31 March 2018
  • you cannot offset business losses against other income
  • business losses should be entered as $0.

Home visits can be arranged for any residents who may have difficulty visiting Council.

Further information

Further information can be viewed on the New Zealand Government website.