Hazardous Substances


This page contains helpful information about Hazardous Substances, their handling, control and options for disposal.

Dangerous Goods Licences

Horowhenua District Council no longer issues dangerous goods licenses.

Control of most dangerous goods transferred to the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996 (HSNO) on 1 April 2004. HSNO is administered by the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA). EPA’s website has more information regarding HSNO and the controls that now replace dangerous goods licenses.

Control of Hazardous Substances

Council has authority for enforcement of HSNO in private dwellings and public places. A number of other organisations are involved in HSNO enforcement including WorkSafe New Zealand at all work places and the NZ Transport Agency when being transported.

Disposal of Hazardous Substances

All hazardous substances including garden chemicals need to be disposed of carefully. Information on disposal facilities for the Horowhenua District is available below.

The Horowhenua District Council Waste Transfer Stations do not not accept hazardous substances. This means anything that is:

  • explosive;
  • flammable;
  • reactive;
  • toxic;
  • corrosive; or
  • infectious.

This includes the following items:

  • bulk liquids;
  • lead Acid Batteries;
  • used oil;
  • refrigerators and freezers;
  • PCB wastes (Polychlorinated Biphenyls found in Ballasts in fluorescent lighting systems);
  • asbestos.

Options for Disposal - Chemicals, Paint Thinners, Pharmaceutical Drugs & Explosives

  • For chemicals, Agri-Chemicals (eg weed spray, liquid fertilisers) and Paint Thinners, please contact Waste Management New Zealand Limited by phone on 0800 888 278, email enquiries@wastemanagement.co.nz or visit www.wastemanagement.co.nz
  • For Pharmaceutical Drugs, please refer to any Chemist.
  • For Explosives, please refer to the NZ Police - phone (06) 366 0500 for the Levin Police Station.

Options for Disposal - Asbestos

The Waste Transfer Station at Otaihanga, operated by Midwest Disposals Ltd, no longer accepts asbestos. If you have asbestos to dispose of, you can either:

  • contact Porirua City Council on (04) 237 5089 or visit www.poriruacity.govt.nz; or
  • contact Bonny Glen Landfill on (06) 327 5620.

If you are unsure about what to do with any hazardous substances, please contact Council on (06) 366 0999.

Hazardous Substance Safety

The chemicals and pesticides section of the ACC website provides important information on child safety and emergency procedures.

LPG Cylinders, Heaters and Barbeques

Please refer to the Energy Safety website for information on safety with gas appliances and LPG cylinder testing.