Glossary of Terms

Activity / Development
Any proposal to subdivide or develop land or change the way land is used. For example, extending a dwelling, subdividing a property, running a business from home.

Activity Status 
Activities are categorised under the District Plan as follows:

  • Permitted (most permissive)
  • Controlled
  • Restricted Discretionary
  • Discretionary
  • Non-Complying (most restrictive)

Adverse Effects
The negative effects arising from your proposal.

Assessment of Environmental Effects (AEE)
All applications for resource consent must include an Assessment of Environmental Effects. An AEE is a written statement that outlines possible effects arising from your activity. It should also identify ways of reducing any adverse effects from your proposal. It identifies who you should consult and, if required, from whom you should obtain written approval. It's used as the basis for Council's decision on whether to notify and grant an application, and, if granted, whether to impose any conditions to address any outstanding effects.

Generally, the more complex your proposal the more comprehensive your AEE will be. In some cases you may require assistance from experts, such as a Consultant Planner, Engineer, Landscape Architect, Urban Designer etc.

Means the legal perimeter of a site.
Road boundary is the legal boundary between the site and the road. This is usually the front boundary.

Boundary Adjustment
A type of subdivision where the boundaries between two or more sites are adjusted, without creating any additional sites.

Daylight Setback Envelope 
An envelope shape, measured at ground level at each site boundary, which buildings must be contained within to protect adjoining properties from shading.

Diagram explaining what a daylight setback envelope is.

Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity
Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity is a process that applies in the place of the resource consent process in certain circumstances. It's a faster, cheaper, and simpler process than going through resource consent. It applies when an activity is listed as permitted in the District Plan, but breaches one or more ‘boundary rules’ (eg boundary setbacks, or height in relation to boundary) and complies with all other rules. A complete list of matters than must be met for this process to apply can be found on the Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity page.

District Plan
The District Plan sets out objectives and policies for the District and rules to achieve these. The purpose of the District Plan is to achieve the sustainable management of natural and physical resources and to control negative effects of development on the environment.

For example, rules applying to the residential zone limit the number of houses that can be built on a site, the size and location on a site that dwellings can be built, and to limit the scale of non-residential activities in residential neighbourhoods. This is to protect residential areas from development that would detract from the quality of the residential environment.

Duty Planner
Council has a planner available every day between 8am-5pm to assist with planning enquiries, such as whether you require a resource consent and what information will be required with your application. You can talk to the duty planner over the phone, or come in to the Council building for a face to face meeting. If you wish to meet with the duty planner, it's recommended you call and book a time to avoid having to wait (for example, if the duty planner is busy with other customers). If you're not able to call ahead, it's fine to just drop into the building but on some occasions you may have to wait for the duty planner to become available.

Environmental Effects 
The impact an activity will have on the environment (natural or built). Includes noise, privacy, visual (eg if you're constructing a new building that exceeds maximum building coverage, will it look overly dominant?), traffic, landscape character, loss of productive soils etc.

Greenbelt Residential
Greenbelt Residential areas have been identified in the District Plan and zoned specifically for the purpose of rural-residential living. These identified areas are generally located near to town and intended to relieve ongoing pressure for fragmentation of the rural land resource.

Land Use / Land Use Consent
A land use consent is a type of resource consent. It is permission from the Council to use land in a way that does not comply with the District Plan. For example, to open an early childhood centre in the residential zone, or construct a dwelling closer than allowed to the road boundary.

Permitted Activity
A permitted activity is one that is allowed as a right under the District Plan. No resource consent or planning approval from Horowhenua District Council is required. Such activities may still require other consents, such as a Building Consent from Horowhenua District Council or Resource Consent from Horizons Regional Council.

Permitted Activity Conditions
Permitted Activity Conditions are the requirements listed in the District Plan that all activities must comply with. Examples include building setbacks from boundaries, maximum building height, and maximum site coverage.

Pre-application Meeting
A meeting between Council staff and developers/land owners to discuss a proposed development (generally medium-large scale) prior to formally applying. The purpose of a pre-application meeting is to discuss the proposal and identify any points of concern or specific information requirements. This provides opportunity for the proposal to be amended or information to be gathered prior to applying for resource consent, enabling a smoother consent process.

Residential Zone
The residential zone covers the urban/suburban areas in Levin, Foxton, Foxton Beach, Shannon, Waitārere Beach, Mangaore, Tokomaru, Hōkio Beach, Waikawa Beach, Ōhau, and Manakau which are primarily used for residential purposes.

Rural Zone
The rural zone covers the areas of the District where farming or horticulture is the predominant activity. The rural zone is very large and varied (ie there are coastal areas, productive plains, hill country etc). For this reason, the rules applying to the rural zone vary depending on where in the rural zone you are located.

Section 223 Approval
This is the approval of the survey plan. This is the ‘second step’ in the subdivision process requiring Council approval.

Section 224 Approval
This is confirmation that all conditions imposed on the subdivision consent have been completed to the required standard. This is the final step in the subdivision process requiring Council approval. Once you've obtained Section 224 Approval, you or your agent (surveyor, lawyer etc) will deposit the plans with Land Information New Zealand (LINZ), who will create the new certificates of title.

Subdivision/Subdivision Consent
A land use consent is a type of resource consent. It's permission from Council to alter boundaries between sites (for example, your neighbour wants to buy some of your land), or create new sites (for example, you want to split your property into two).

Survey Plan
A plan prepared by a surveyor showing legal boundaries. A survey plan is required in order to obtain s223* certificate, which is required as part of the subdivision process. Generally, when you apply for subdivision consent a surveyor will prepare a ‘scheme plan’. This is essentially a draft plan showing where future boundaries will be located. Once subdivision is approved, the surveyor will carry out the formal survey of the land and determine the exact location of the new boundaries. Sometimes there'll be slight variation between the scheme plan and the survey plan, due to features on the ground that mean proposed boundaries need to be altered slightly.