Building Consents


Horowhenua District Council is an accredited Building Consent Authority (BCA) and manages, monitors and processes Building Consent applications.

The Consents Team administers this process, which is designed to ensure building work meets all the criteria under the Building Act 2004.

Planning to build or renovate?

If you're planning to build or renovate your home or business there are certain guidelines and consents you need to adhere to under New Zealand’s building legislation.  Council's Building Consents Team can help you with a range of building needs and requirements including:

  • building consent applications and amendments;
  • building and plumbing inspections;
  • code compliance certificate applications; and
  • compliance schedules and building warrants of fitness.

Our staff are trained professionals with backgrounds covering a range of building disciplines and are committed to providing quality customer service. They will help you obtain your consent as fast as possible while ensuring your project meets all the legislative and Building Code requirements.

Note: The information on this website is not all inclusive. For full information regarding Building Consents please contact Council on (06) 366 0999 or email

What is a building consent?

A Building Consent is a formal approval granted by the Council which confirms the proposed building work shown in the documentation you provide complies with the New Zealand Building Code, the Building Act 2004 and Building Regulations. 

What work can I do without a building consent?

Most types of building work require a building consent to ensure compliance with the Building Act 2004 and with the New Zealand Building Code.

Building work listed under Schedule 1 of the Building Act 2004 is exempt building work and may be done without first obtaining a building consent, but the work must still comply with the Building Code.

Schedule 1 can be viewed on the New Zealand Legislation website. Further information which may be relevant can be obtained on the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment website.

It is recommended you discuss your project with Council’s building advisory officers before undertaking any building works, even if you think the proposed works are exempt in accordance with Schedule 1 of the Act. It is also recommended you check to see if your proposed building work complies with the requirements of the District Plan, or is already provided for by an existing Resource Consent. If it isn't, you may need to apply for Resource Consent. Contact Council’s Consents team for more information.

Applying for a record of exemption

There may be occasions when you would like exempt work to be recorded against your property file. If this is the case, complete the form below to apply for a record of exemption.

Application Form and Record of Exemption for Building Consent(PDF, 38KB)

The current fees for a record of exemption can be found on our Building Fees & Charges page.

Councils can also use their discretion under Schedule 1 (2) to exempt any building work from requiring a building consent. You can apply for an exemption to the requirement for a building consent using the form below.

Application Form and Record of Exemption for Building Consent(PDF, 38KB)

If building work is exempt you may still wish to obtain a building consent. More information about applying for a building consent can be found on our Applying for a Building Consent page.