Council’s new Streamlined Housing Process

Published on July 29, 2022

Council’s new Streamlined Housing Process.

Whether you're a developer, would-be-developer or homeowner planning to build a new home or building on underused land in Horowhenua, we're making it easier for you to build new homes in the area with the new Streamlined Housing Process (SHP).

The SHP aims to streamline the consent process for housing development projects that meet specified criteria to encourage better utilisation of existing residential land. "This initiative aims to reduce the cost and uncertainty involved with the resource consent process for this type of development," says David McCorkindale, Group Manager Customer and Strategy.

Although Council won't be able to guarantee approval, the process should provide a smoother pathway to get consent approved. The information supporting the SHP will benefit applicants unfamiliar with the consent process or requirements.

How does the SHP work?

  • Council streamlined parts of the consenting process to make it easier to understand and more straightforward to navigate.
  • We've prepared a series of preferred design approaches and ways to build more homes on sites (technical solutions for infill housing).
  • Non-notified resource consent approval may be possible for applications that follow the new design approaches.
  • Existing homes on larger sites may be subdivided into smaller units.
  • The SHP will focus on moderate to medium-density infill housing, one- and two-storey buildings. In some cases – if neighbours agree – three-storey dwellings may be built.

Who can use the SHP?

  • It might work for you if you have a residential section to subdivide or if you're a developer looking to redevelop a larger site.
  • Would-be investors who have equity and landowners that may have thought the process was too hard in the past or that their property didn't have development potential, are encouraged to learn more.

Where can I learn more?

Learn more about the process on the Streamlined Housing Process page

Alternatively, contact Council to make a time to speak with one of the Consents team about this process.