Why are we growing?
There are many reasons behind the unprecedented growth in Horowhenua:
- Horowhenua experienced low growth for a generation, which left property prices low by national standards and therefore affordable for new residents, investors and developers
- The construction of the Wellington Northern Motorway is a transformational project for the communities of the west coast of the Lower North Island – from 2021 onwards more than 760,000 people will live within an hour’s drive of Horowhenua.
- The population of Aotearoa has been growing strongly thanks to high migration levels. While those levels have dipped in recent years, they remain historically high.
- We offer a wonderful lifestyle with multiple beaches, forest parks and rivers all within a 20-minute drive
- Horowhenua has the sunniest and warmest climate on the west coast of the lower North Island.
Will growth continue?
There are many reasons why we expect growth will continue:
- Property prices are lower than that of Wellington, Palmerston North and Kāpiti
- Two local iwi – Muaūpoko and Ngāti Raukawa – are both pre-settlement Treaty of Waitangi iwi. The eventual settlements will provide both iwi with increased ability to invest locally and improve the cultural and financial wellbeing of their people and future generations
- The Ōtaki to North of Levin (Ō2NL) Expressway is the largest infrastructure project in our district's history and will lead to a bustling economy.
- Some of the largest infrastructure projects in our region’s history are underway.
- Planning for more infrastructure projects is on the drawing board: