The local body elections for the Horowhenua District were held on 8 October 2016.
Local Elections Final Result
The Final Result is now available below.
Declaration of Result - Horowhenua District Council 2016 Triennial Elections(PDF, 40KB)
Election Donations and Expenses
The candidates declarations of Electoral Expenses and Donations for the 2016 elections can be viewed on our Electoral Expenses and Donations for 2016 Local Elections page.
Horowhenua is divided into four wards. Voters elected 11 representatives this year:
- Horowhenua District Council Mayor
- two councillors elected by the electors of the Kere Kere Ward
- one councillor elected by the electors of the Miranui Ward
- two councillors elected by the electors of the Waiopehu Ward
- five councillors elected by the electors of the Levin Ward.
As well as the Council, the voters also elected:
- Five members of the Foxton Community Board
- Two members to represent the Horowhenua Kairanga Constituency of the Manawatu-Wanganui Regional Council (Horizons)
- Seven members of the MidCentral District Health Board.
If you own property within the Horowhenua District, but do not live here, you can apply to go on the ratepayer roll. You will be able to vote in the area where you pay rates, and the area where you live.
Election Timetable & Process
The nomination of candidates opened on 15 July and ran until noon on 12 August. You will have received your voting papers mid to end of September, and the voting will be open until 8 October. More details on the election timetable and process are available in the document below.
2016 Local Government Election Timetable(PDF, 75KB)
Voting Paper Returns
If you are interested in following the number of Voting Paper Returns, these are available for viewing on electionz.com and show the following information:
- The number of voters per ward
- The number of returns per day by ward
- The percentage of returns against voter numbers
- Returns for the last three elections.
The 2016 Elections Candidate Handbook is available below.
Candidate Handbook 2016(PDF, 1MB)
More information on the 2016 election will be added to this section in due course.