Horowhenua Integrated Transport Strategy (HITS)
Horowhenua District Council recognises the importance of an integrated transport system to the wellbeing of our residents and those travelling through our district and is committed to working with the Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency (NZTA) to build a safe, resilient and sustainable transport system.
HITS (our Horowhenua Integrated Transport Strategy) provides strategic direction to Council, our transport partners and our community on how we plan to develop our transport network and deliver key transport solutions for the next 30 years.
Strategic focus areas
The HITS outlines seven strategic focus areas (or pillars) that support the vision (te whahakitenga). These are:
- public transport;
- active transport;
- freight plus logistics; and
- town centres.
Priorities have been identified for each focus area to direct our efforts to achieving a holistic, integrated transport system. The tactical Action Plans underpinning HITS will provide clear actions to operationalise and drive HITS with the Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency and other transport agencies responsible for land transport decision making processes.
Nga Whainga | HITS Objectives
The objective of HITS is to provide an overarching strategy and governance framework for the development of the transport system in Horowhenua, that:
- Informs the community of the longer term transport strategy desired outcomes and transport action plans for Horowhenua.
- Connects and commits the Council and our transport partners — the Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency, Horizons Regional Council and the Regional Transport Committee — to delivering and funding the HITS.
- Fulfils our statutory obligations under the Land Transport Management Act (LTMA 2003) and the Local Government Act (LGA 2002), and aligns with the Government Policy Statement on Land Transport 2021.
- Promotes an integrated and co-ordinated approach to the delivery and building of our transport system, so that it meets the transport needs of our growing district and improves our economic, social, cultural and environmental outcomes.
- Empowers the NZ Transport Agency, Horizons and other transport organisations to proactively respond to the District’s transport plans and aspirations and partner on the work we do for mutually beneficial transport outcomes.
- Provides guidance to the Council on its Long Term Transport Programme (AMP).
- Supports the delivery of the overarching HITS Strategy and suite of priority action plans and projects.
The Horowhenua Integrated Transport Strategy is available below.
Horowhenua Integrated Transport Strategy (HITS)(PDF, 2MB)
Thank you for your feedback, it helps us design a better website for you.
Please call us any time on 06 366 0999 to report something that is causing an immediate risk to the safety of a person, people, or property.