Draft Water Supply Bylaw 2020

Submissions closed on 27 July 2020, 05:00 PM

Thumbnail image of Levin Water Treatment Plant aerial view for Draft Water Supply Bylaw.

Horowhenua District Council is proposing to revoke and replace the Water Supply Bylaw 2014 with the Draft Water Supply Bylaw 2020. 

Council resolved to consult on the draft Water Supply Bylaw at its ordinary meeting on 6 May 2020, using the Special Consultative Procedure as laid out in the Local Government Act 2002.

Horowhenua District Council has determined, in accordance with section 155 of the Local Government Act 2002, that the draft Water Supply Bylaw 2020 is the most appropriate form of bylaw to address the matters covered therein, after using the Special Consultative Procedure as set out in section 83 of the Local Government Act 2002.

The new Water Supply Bylaw 2020 shall come into force following adoption by Council.

Improving water demand management practices

Council has concentrated their efforts on improving water demand management practices across the district. This draft Water Supply Bylaw 2020 is an important building block to enable Council to better manage water demand, through enforcement provisions relating to the take of water from fire hydrants, which is prohibited and a major cause of damage to Council’s water infrastructure. The draft further includes arrangements around the installation of meters at subdivision stage to assist with the monitoring and managing of water consumption volumes which form an integral part of water demand management.

The proposed replacement to the current Water Supply Bylaw will provide a more robust mechanism for the Council to better regulate the water supply activity. The Bylaw proposes various controls that would assist to protect the district’s physical water supply infrastructure from intentional or inadvertent damage or misuse. Moreover, the Bylaw sets out responsibilities of installers, owners and the public, and the expectations of the Council in terms of appropriate use of water and access to components of the water supply system.

Related documents

The Statement of Proposal and Summary of Information can be viewed below.

Draft Water Supply Bylaw 2020 - Statement of Proposal(PDF, 312KB)
Draft Water Supply Bylaw 2020 - Summary of Information(PDF, 35KB)

Submissions closed at 5pm on Monday, 27 July 2020.

Why does Council need a Water Supply Bylaw?

A Water Supply Bylaw protects, promotes and maintains public health and safety, to protect public water supply infrastructure, to protect the public from nuisance by making rules for the supply of water, and to manage and regulate the Council’s Water Supply.

Do other Councils have a Water Supply Bylaw?

Yes, all District Councils have a Water Supply Bylaw.

Why is Council changing it?

Council is required by law to review the Bylaw every 4-5 years to ensure that it remains current and relevant.

Will this increase my rates?

No, changes to the Water Supply Bylaw will not affect rates.

Council recently built a new reservoir in Levin. Don’t we have lots of water now?

No, the new reservoir at the Levin Water Treatment plant only increased storage to one day’s supply of water, which is above average for New Zealand.

Why do we have water restrictions every year? Will this Bylaw stop that?

Council imposes water restrictions to ensure a continuous supply for everyone during very dry weather conditions as well as meeting compliance requirements with Resource Consent conditions. The Bylaw will not prevent water restrictions but aims to promote responsible use of water.

Will this new Bylaw impact any legal matters in progress under the previous Water Supply Bylaw?

No, the revocation of any previous water supply Bylaws or parts of any previous Bylaw and amendments shall not prevent any legal proceedings, criminal or civil, being taken to enforce those Bylaws and any such proceedings shall continue to be dealt with and completed as if the Bylaw or part Bylaw or amendment had not been revoked.

What is a Dedicated Filling Point?

Points in the Water Supply System that are provided by the Council for the purpose of allowing commercial operators to obtain bulk water in accordance with a Permit issued by the Council.

Who can withdraw water from Dedicated Filling Points?

Only people who have been granted a Permit from the Council authorising such abstraction. The Council at its sole discretion may grant a Permit to abstract water from the Council’s Dedicated Filling Points on any terms or conditions it considers appropriate.

If I build a new house, is it compulsory for me to have a meter installed?

Current cross-leased properties without meters would not necessarily have a meter installed, although council reserves the right to install a meter to assess consumption or where water wastage or private leaks have been identified.

Meters are required for Extraordinary Users. They are:

  • Residential properties with swimming pools, spas or collapsible pool, Residential properties with advanced on-site wastewater treatment systems, Commercial or business premises (including home-based commercial activities eg dentists, hairdressers, bed and breakfast and other cottage type industries), Industrial premises, Temporary supplies, Out of District customers (supply to or within another local authority), Public facilities, golf clubs, parks and reserves, Educational facilities, Health facilities, Retirement villages, any properties at which horticultural or agricultural land use is occurring, any other property found by Council to be using more than 15% of the assessed average daily allocation over a 12 month period.

All new water connections as well as existing connections serving any of the lots created by a subdivision will have meters installed. A new home built on a property with an existing un-metered water connection would not necessarily require a meter, but the owner can apply to have one installed at a cost of about $100, depending on whether the connection already has a manifold installed or needs to be upgraded.

Do I need to pay any charges for water leakages that happened in my neighbour’s house, if I am sharing cross-lease?

In the case of cross-lease properties, Council may recover costs from any or all Property Owners.

What should the distance between buried services be? Why is it important?

Separation distances between the Water Supply Network and other services including buried wastewater pipelines shall comply with the standards as set in relevant codes and standards listed in clause 2.3(b) of the Water Supply Bylaw. The purpose of this is to reduce the possibility of contamination being drawn into the Water Supply System, particularly when the Water Supply System is subjected to low pressures or vacuums.

Who is responsible for the maintenance of privately owned fire hydrants?

Privately owned fire hydrants need to be maintained by the Customer at their own expense.

Enquiries can be made either by phone on (06) 366 0999 or email to enquiries@horowhenua.govt.nz.