Council is looking at how waste is minimised and managed in Horowhenua now and how things could be done better in the future. To do so, Council is developing a Waste Assessment and a Waste Minimisation and Management Plan.
The draft Waste Assessment describes how waste is managed and minimised in Horowhenua, Council’s vision, goals and targets for minimising and managing waste and options for meeting future demand.
The draft Waste Minimisation and Management Plan summarises the Waste Assessment and adds an action plan.
These documents have been summarised in a Statement of Proposal and Council wants to know what you think, including:
- Do you agree with Council’s vision for waste minimisation and management?
- Has Council set the right targets for waste minimisation and management?
- Should Council continue with its kerbside rubbish collection service, and improve the kerbside recycling service by providing a separate crate for glass and a wheelie bin for other recycling?
- What should Council take into account when considering medium to long-term options for Levin Landfill?
- What additional waste minimisation and management activities should Council introduce in Horowhenua?
The Statement of Proposal, draft Waste Assessment and draft Waste Minimisation and Management Plan are available under 'Related Information'.
Hard copies are available from Council’s Service Centres: Te Takeretanga o Kura-hau-pō and Council offices in Levin, Te Awahou Nieuwe Stroom in Foxton or the Shannon Library. You may request for a copy to be posted to you by phoning (06) 366 0999.