Youth Excellence Scholarships
Established in 2004 and awarded annually, the Horowhenua Youth Excellence Scholarships are designed to reward young people's efforts in particular areas:
- Community Services - for recognition of outstanding service to the community
- Excellence in Sport
- Excellence in Academia
- Excellence in Art and Culture
These scholarships are designed to not only recognise achievements and contributions, but also to assist the recipient to continue succeeding in their endeavours with each one being worth $250.
2020 Horowhenua Youth Excellence Scholarships Open
Applications are open for the 2020 Horowhenua Youth Excellence Scholarships. A total of 12 scholarships, across the four different categories listed above, are available. These scholarships are designed to not only recognise achievements and contributions, but also to assist the recipient to continue succeeding in their endeavours.
Each Scholarship is worth $250, and recipients and their whānau will be invited to attend the Civic Awards evening on Thursday, 19 November 2020 , when the awards will be presented.
Applications close on Monday, 14 September 2020.
Criteria for Youth Excellence Scholarships
- Youth Excellence Scholarships reward young people's efforts in community service or excellence in sport, academia or art and culture.
- To be eligible for these scholarships, the nominee must live in the Horowhenua District and be between the ages of 12 and 24 years.
- These Scholarships are also designed to help youth in the Horowhenua reach their potential and can be utilised to fund activities that applicants are participating in such as sports, arts, cultural, academic or work in the community.
Please note all nomination forms must be supported by someone who is familiar with the young person’s success i.e. involved in their sporting club etc. This person will be used as a reference to verify the young person’s achievements.
To apply, please view the criteria above and complete the online application form or download and complete the print version.
Hard copy applications and all relevant attachments can be scanned and sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, posted to Horowhenua District Council, Private Bag 4002, Levin 5540 or delivered in person to Council’s offices at 126 Oxford Street, Levin.
Past Youth Excellence Scholarship recipients can be viewed on our Past Award Recipients page.