Camping grounds are inspected annually to ensure they comply with the Camping Grounds Regulations 1985. The basic requirements for camping grounds are:
- Specific space requirements for each site and the number of ablution, laundry and kitchen facilities will depend on occupancy loading.
- Paths and sites must be well marked and lit.
- Water must be available at specified space intervals and facilities must be maintained in a tidy and clean condition.
- Record keeping, pest control, building maintenance and cleaning practices must be well managed.
- Registration is renewed each year and an annual fee applies.
New Zealand Legislation: Camping Grounds Regulations 1985(PDF, 27KB)
Applying for Registration of a Camping Ground
If you are interested in opening a camping ground you will also need to contact our Consents Officers.
Application for Registration of a Camping Ground (Writeable PDF)(PDF, 815KB)
Please provide as much detail as you can, so we can fix any issues you are having.
Thank you for your feedback, it helps us design a better website for you.
Please call us any time on 06 366 0999 to report something that is causing an immediate risk to the safety of a person, people, or property.