Camping grounds are inspected annually to ensure they comply with the Camping Grounds Regulations 1985. The basic requirements for camping grounds are:
- Specific space requirements for each site and the number of ablution, laundry and kitchen facilities will depend on occupancy loading.
- Paths and sites must be well marked and lit.
- Water must be available at specified space intervals and facilities must be maintained in a tidy and clean condition.
- Record keeping, pest control, building maintenance and cleaning practices must be well managed.
- Registration is renewed each year and an annual fee applies.
New Zealand Legislation: Camping Grounds Regulations 1985(PDF, 27KB)
Applying for Registration of a Camping Ground
If you are interested in opening a camping ground you will also need to contact our Consents Officers.
Application for Registration of a Camping Ground (Writeable PDF)(PDF, 815KB)