Sale of Food at Events or Markets
This page contains Horowhenua District Council's information on selling food at events including fairs, markets, sausage sizzles and fundraising stalls.
Event and Market Organisers
If you are organising an event or a market where people will be selling food you need to make sure that you communicate with Council's Environmental Health Officer (EHO) to check that each food operator meets regulatory requirements.
You'll need to provide Council's EHO with a list of people selling food at the event, and their contact details, at least 20 working days before the event. The EHO will then work with any food operators that need approval.
Mobile Food Businesses
Mobile food businesses (including mobile stalls) must be registered to sell food and display a current copy of their registration certificate while they are trading. If you have a mobile food businesses that is registered outside of the Horowhenua District you are required to apply for a permit to trade at events within the District. Please complete the application form below to apply for a permit to trade.
Application for Permit to Trade for Mobile Shops(PDF, 149KB)
Selling Food for Fundraising
There is a clear exemption in the Food Act 2014 to the requirement to be a registered food business if you are selling food for fundraising (with some conditions). If you sell food for fundraising in the Horowhenua District at events, markets or from a stall you will need to complete an application for a permit. Permits will only be issued to people/organisations who meet the following criteria:
- a person or group of persons who are trading in food for the sole purpose of raising money for a charitable, benevolent, philanthropic, or cultural purpose; and
- the fundraising activity is carried out on no more than 20 occasions in any calendar year; and
- the person or group of persons does not sell food online or though social media, eg Facebook.
A print version of the online application is available below.
Application for Permit to Sell Food for Fundraising (Print Version)(PDF, 88KB)
Selling food for profit without being a registered food business
If you are not fundraising and are not a registered food business and you are planning on selling food from a stall or at an event or market in the Horowhenua District, then you will need to complete an application form for a permit. Permits will only be issued to people who meet the following criteria:
- the person or group of persons applying are selling food for personal profit (excluding fundraising) and
- the person or group of persons applying sell food on no more than one occasion in any calendar year (January to December); and
- the person or group of persons do not sell food online or though social media, eg Facebook.
Application for Permit to Sell Food (Print Version)(PDF, 91KB)
Completed Application Forms
Once completed, your application form can be:
- scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- posted to Horowhenua District Council, Private Bag 4002, Levin 5540; or
- delivered to Horowhenua District Council's Customer Service Centre at 126 Oxford Street, Levin; or
- faxed to (06) 366 0983.
If you have any queries, please contact Council's Environmental Health Officer on (06) 366 0999 or email email@example.com
You may also wish to view the following guides on the Ministry for Primary Industries website:
- Food safety tips for selling food at occasional events
- Food safety tips for event organisers
- Hot tips for a safe and successful sausage sizzle.