Are you ready in a disaster?
Despite our best efforts, things sometimes go wrong and people get affected in some or many ways.
With New Zealand's history of earthquakes and floods, a disaster could happen in parts of the district or several districts at the same time.
Be Prepared To Cope On Your Own for up to Three Days or More
You will need to have:
- A Household Emergency Plan
- Emergency Survival kit
- A Getaway Kit if you need to be evacuated
Preparing for a disaster can be quite simple and a good place to start is to visit Get Ready Get Thru.
Join Neighbourhood Support - they are our link in the community. Contact the Coordinator at the Levin Police Station on 366 0555.
Alternatively, pick up a copy of "Are You Prepared" or a Household Emergency Checklist from a Council Customer Service Centre.
Information is also available in the Yellow Pages section of your telephone book.
Horowhenua Civil Defence Information
In the event of a Civil Defence emergency:
Contact Council on (06) 366 0999.
Tune into your Local Radio Station for information and updates
- Beach FM (106.3 FM)
- Riverside Country Radio (88.3 FM)
Emergency Management Links
You can find out more about Civil Defence by clicking on the Government agency and organisation links provided below.
Schools and Work Places
- Visit What's The Plan Stan?, the comprehensive website for kids and schools.
- Visit Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management.
Tsunami Evacuation Information
Tsunami Evacuation Information - Foxton Beach Evacuation Zone(PDF, 2MB)
Tsunami Evacuation Information - Hokio Beach Evacuation Zone(PDF, 2MB)
Tsunami Evacuation Information - Waikawa Beach Evacuation Zone(PDF, 2MB)
Tsunami Evacuation Information - Waitarere Evacuation Zone(PDF, 2MB)
Agency & Organisation Websites
- Earthquake Commission
- Neighbourhood Support
- New Zealand Ministry of Health
- Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
- Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences (GNS)
- National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA)
- Natural Hazards Centre
- The Meteorological Service of New Zealand