District Cemeteries

Avenue Cemetery

Avenue Cemetery is situated:

  • Avenue North Road, Levin
  • 3.4 km’s north of Levin Township, just off State Highway One
  • Adjacent to IC Mark’s Avenue Crematorium and Chapel.

Avenue Cemetery is the District's newest cemetery, established in 1974 for Returned Servicemen graves and 1975 for public interments. The Cemetery offers tranquil, landscaped, park like surroundings providing the perfect environment to remember departed loved ones. A number of burial options are available at the cemetery, including full burial plots, ashes gardens and lawn plots and scattering options.

Foxton Cemetery

Entry to Foxton Cemetery is from:

  • 3.2 km’s east of Foxton Township on Avenue Road, Foxton
  • Located on the corner of Hickford and Avenue Road, Foxton
  • Signposted off State Highway 1.

Foxton Cemetery is the District's oldest cemetery with records dating back to 1867. The cemetery is rich in history with many of Foxton’s colonial families and prominent early settlers buried in the Cemetery. The Cemetery has tranquil tree lined grounds with colonial charm, overlooking surrounding farmland and amazing views of the Tararua mountain range.

Ihakara Cemetery

Ihakara Cemetery is located on the corner of Main and Park Street Foxton.

Now known as Ihakara Gardens, Ihakara Cemetery is a cemetery of historic importance, being one of the earliest resting places of both Maori and Europeans in the region. The earliest marked burial dates back to 1850, however up to 7 burials prior to this are known to have occurred at the cemetery.

A small mound on top of the cemetery provides a great view across Foxton’s Historical Main Street.

Koputaroa Cemetery

Koputaroa Cemetery is located:

  • On Koputaroa Road, south of Koputaroa School.
  • Accessible from State Highway 1, north of Levin.

Koputaroa Cemetery is a small settlers cemetery that once serviced the Koputaroa community. The land for the cemetery was gifted by Hannah Jane Davies in 1909, with the first interment occurring shortly after and the last in 1963. The cemetery is now closed for new interments.

Manakau Cemetery

Entry to the Manakau Cemetery is from:

  • Manakau South Road, at the Southern most end of the Horowhenua District
  • Located on the corner of State Highway 1 and South Manakau Road
  • Signposted off State Highway 1.

Manakau Cemetery is one of two District rural Cemeteries. The first interment took place in 1892 and continues to be used on a regular basis by local Marae as an urupa and local families as the resting place for departed loved ones. The Cemetery has a rustic colonial charm, with many prominent early settlers from the Manakau area buried in the Cemetery.

The Cemetery offers a historical retreat into the areas local history, with a large number of historic graves.

Old Levin Cemetery

Entry to the Old Levin Cemetery is from:

  • Either Mako Mako or Tiro Tiro Road, Levin.
  • Signposted off State Highway 1 (Oxford Street).
  • The Cemetery is situated adjacent to the Districts AP&I show grounds and Levin Race Course.

Old Levin Cemetery is the District's only urban cemetery, with records dating back to 1894. Included at the cemetery is a Returned Services Section. The cemetery is now closed for new burials, however ashes, reserved and double depth burials are available. The Cemetery offers an interesting historical journey, with many of Levin’s early settlers and notable figures buried in the cemetery.

Shannon Cemetery

Entry to the Shannon Cemetery is from:

  • Brown Street, Shannon.
  • Located 1.5 km’s south west of Shannon Township.

Shannon Cemetery is one of two District rural Cemeteries. The first interment took place in 1893, making it the District's third oldest cemetery and continues to be used on a regular basis by local families as the resting place for departed loved ones. The Cemetery has colonial charm with its rustic stone pillars and historic graves with many prominent early settlers from the Shannon area buried in the Cemetery.

The Cemetery offers a historical retreat into the areas local history, with a large number of historic graves.