Welcome to the Horowhenua District Council’s recruitment information page. We will endeavour to provide you with the necessary information for you to apply and present your best self when you are being interviewed for a position with the Council.
Join our team and be apart of an innovative, forward thinking organisation!
We go above and beyond to make our community a great place to live, work, and play in. HDC Staff enjoy doing what they do, and are genuinely proud to tell people where they work. Our community is why we are here and every day we strive to make improvements in our community, some big and others small but are committed to making a difference and love to see smiles on our community members faces.
For information about current job vacancies visit Job Vacancies.
We are a Council unlike any other!
We go above and beyond to make our community a great place to live, work, and play in. HDC Staff enjoy doing what they do, and are genuinely proud to tell people where they work. Our community is why we are here and every day we strive to make improvements in our community, both big and small. We are committed to making a difference and love to see smiles on our community members faces.
Our people are an integral part of our brand and we live and breathe our values. Its not all sunshine and rainbows either…challenges here are a given, and they are challenges that get you excited about what lies ahead for our district. We are results focused and reward those who achieve through hard work and outside the box thinking. We encourage you to succeed, grow and aspire to your full potential.
If, when you look at your strengths, you see someone who is innovative, great with people, energetic, honest, down-to-earth and able to work through setbacks to get the right result, then you could be a great asset to our council. If you are someone who likes to be challenged, who enjoys working for the community then Horowhenua District Council is the place for you.
We are on a journey from good to great. This journey starts the moment you join the team our team. Our values are a key part of who we are as a business and we pride ourselves on striving toward and living these values.
Our values are:
- GREATNESS - We never settle until our good is better and our better is great!
- REAL UNITY - We make it happen, together!
- ENERGY - We use our energy to perfom and succeed!
- ACHIEVEMENT - We deliver exceptional results!
- TRUST - We create trust by living with integrity!
Each year we recognise our staff with unique internal staff awards. We want to ensure we are acknowledging our most value asset – our staff. These Awards consist of a number of categories and characteristics that we value as an organisation. While we cannot recognise everyone, as a Leadership Team we have worked to nominate and agree on who we believe is most deserving of these awards.
Our award categories include:
- The Kate Sheppard Award for Outstanding Newcomer - Te Tohu Mātāhō
- The Sir Peter Blake Red Socks Award for inspiring the Spirit of HDC - Te Tohu Whakaawe
- The Lydia Ko Award for stepping up - Te Tohu Whakapiki
- The Irene Van Dyk Award for consistent delivery - Te Tohu Hiranga
- The Dame Te Atairangikaahu Award for fostering partnerships - Te Tohu Mahitahi
- The Richie McCaw Award for exceptional leadership 'on the field' - Te Tohu Manukura
- The Nancy Wake Award for going above and beyond the call of duty – Te Tohu Hiringa
- The Bruce McLaren Award for Product Excellence - Te Tohu Auaha
- The Jean Batten Award for Operations Excellence - Te Tohu Tūhura
- The Bob Little Award for Customer Service Excellence - Te Tohu Tūpore
- The Sir Paul Callaghan Award for ‘Going from Good to Great’ (CEO’s Award) - Te Tohu Whakapakari
Horowhenua District Council is innovative and forward thinking. The Council’s vision is to work together with local communities, businesses and potential investors to take the region from “good to great”. To achieve its vision, the Council is committed to providing a business-friendly environment that will generate economic growth and development in the region.
Horowhenua District Council has started the internal journey of seeing the organisation going from good to great. An internal strategy was launched providing the organisation with 4 pillars of excellence to work towards. These include Customer Service Excellence, Operations Excellence, Product Excellence and People Excellence. Along with the pillars of excellence staff are now committed to work towards clear goals and objectives in the focus areas of Service Delivery, Financial Sustainability and Affordability, Alliances and Partnerships and Community Engagement.
The management team has reorganised to ensure our organisation is set up for the anticipated growth:
- Growth Response Team- who will take the lead in developing the appropriate responses to ensure upcoming growth opportunities are enabled and are responsible for developing the RONS response, collaboration strategies with our northern neighbours and Kapiti Coast District Council, and any governance changes agreed by Council.
- Business Excellence Team – who will develop and implement an innovation framework that helps the efficient and effective service delivery, enabling productivity gains. It will also review back office and frontline services to identify opportunities for cost savings, efficiencies and improvements.
With unspoilt sandy beaches, melting ocean sunsets, expansive green landscapes and friendly people, the Horowhenua District holds secrets you only dare dream about.
Bordered by the mighty Tararua Ranges to the east and the beaches of the Tasman Sea to the west, down all the side roads on offer you’ll find miles of farmland, bushwalks, gardens, rivers, lakes, parks and reserves. And the diverse cultures and history that you will encounter will enrich your life.
Conveniently located on State Highways 1 and 57, Horowhenua is within easy reach of Palmerston North, Whanganui, Kapiti Coast and Wellington. It is a district you can enjoy your lifestyle while being central enough that you are not isolated.