Vibrant Communities Grant
Vibrant Communities Grant ($10,000)
As an initiative of Council’s Pride and Vibrancy Action Plan, the Vibrant Communities Grant was introduced in 2015 to support projects that build a sense of vibrancy in the Horowhenua District.
Each financial year the Grants and Funding Subcommittee of Council determines the strategic priorities of the fund and how it will be administered at its first meeting of the year (August).
The inaugural fund (2015/2016) supported the Levin Adventure Park Youth Mural Project.
For 2016/2017 the Grants Subcommittee has announced that the fund be directed towards placemaking projects. What is placemaking? Placemaking typically describes creative, and often temporary, activities or installations that celebrate and activate public spaces, in a way that encourages people to engage with them. Placemaking initiatives are typically fun, vibrant and quirky initiatives that highlight and celebrate the location they occur within. They may include things such as pop-up parks, public art, street performances (music, poetry, theatre etc) or giant treasure hunts.
Vibrant Communities Grant Criteria 2016-2017.pdf(PDF, 136KB)
The 20016-17 Grant welcomes applications for initiatives that promote the use of public space as a place for communities to explore, connect with and celebrate the identity of Horowhenua and its people.
Applications are invited for placemaking initiatives that:
- Are an activity, program or development that will occur within a public space.
- Explore an aspect(s) of the identity of the place the public space is located in – be that a site, neighbourhood, settlement or the district as a whole.
- Attract people’s attention, generate interest, encourage interaction and achieve participation by people who pass the initiative / the public space.
- Are fun, interesting and stimulating for the people who choose to interact with it / participate in it / observe it.
- Use the public space as the environment to provide new, engaging, creative, inspiring and perhaps even quirky experiences.
- Contribute to a sense of community.
Applications close at 5:00pm on 30 January 2017.